Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Baked Steak and Cheese croissants

Attache ta tuque! as we'd say in French (tie your tuque - put your hat on and hang on...)

This one is something I threw together a couple of years ago, and its perfect when you have leftovers, not a lot of cash, and/or you want something totally scrumptious! It serves well at a party, if you care to share, or you can make a pile of them, and stuff your face, you can make ONE (I dare you!) or more... whatever turns your crank :) The crunch of the baked/toasted flaky croissants, the flavor of the beef, the just-right moistness of the shrooms, and of course, the garlic flavoring are piled high with ooey-gooey cheese that just doesn't quit. Take a look! YUM!
too bad we don't have scratch and sniff monitors! :)

A couple of notes:

I use/make a "lazy woman's tin baking sheet", with a doubled up sheet of foil, why? Take a look at the pictures, you'll see, its also easier to pop off the melted cheese, and its a breeze to clean. (keep away from puppies that would reach your sink or trash lol!)

For those who get food-triggered migraines, here's a tip when using onions... The center rings of the onions have the most concentrate of sulphur, (the lovely stuff that for ME, triggers migraines if I overdo it (and yes I love onions!) so, remove the center rings, quite simple. Purple/red onions for me seem to be less traumatic, as they are not as strong. If you were to remove the little "skin" on each layer, that would help, but that would also be insane so... this short-cut works... give it a try, nothing to lose.

I added garlic directly to the croissants. It adds flavor and tang, and this is something I do if I feel I'm coming down with something.

When slicing the croissants, use a bread knife please. Really, it’ll make all the difference in the world!

I ran out of olive oil, so I’m using peanut oil, and I hate it. I just do. So, use olive oil, does not burn as fast, and it tastes better. ^_^

So here we go, as usual, prep your ingredients, and get ready to cook!

Ingredients:

4-6 croissants – depends how much of the mix you pile high on it ;)


3 large shrooms, sliced thinly


1 lb (or so) boneless blade steak


1/8 tsp of salt and a tad less of pepper (unless you like pepper)


1 tbsp sodium reduced soy sauce


3 tbsp parmesan (optional)


2 cups or so of Mozzarella cheese, shredded.


2 slices of onions, chopped coarsely


2X 1 tbsp of oil.



Slice beef thinly, in 1/2 “ pieces. Remove the gristle and stuff as you go, or cook it, and treat the dog/cats.

In medium bowl, add sliced meat, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well, put aside (you’ll be mixing the meat here and there, as you’re cooking the other stuff).

Heat wok, when nice and hot, add 1tbsp oil, heat oil, add garlic and onions. Stir fry quickly for about 1 minute, add meat.

Note: because of the soy sauce, there will be an excess of juices, just keep stir frying away for about 3 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink. But don’t over cook, remember this stuff still has to bake!

Push meat to one side of wok, add oil, and then shrooms (lazy woman’s way of cooking/blending the shrooms with meat) and stir fry for another 1-2 minutes. Turn heat off.

Slice croissants.

Take a large section of foil, fold in half, and fold sides up to form a lip. If you’d rather use a cookie sheet, or whatever be my guest :)
Place croissants on foil sheet

Add a bit of garlic (this is optional – but it makes a difference, IMHO!)

Add a thin layer of cheese (to glue the meat you know…)

Using a slotted spoon (or a spatula like I have, “drain” the meat mix, as much as possible, or else, your croissants will be soggy. (eweeee)

Add the meat mixture, try to distribute evenly. (see pictures)

Add the cheese on top, parmesan first if you’re using it.

Now, if like me, you forgot that foil is NOT rigid, use a splatter screen, deftly slip it under your homemade foil thingy, and pop it in the (toaster) oven for about 15 minutes.

I toasted it for 2 minutes to brown the cheese, but stomach won over pictures. (sorry). You can use broil if your oven has that function, but KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON IT!

Use your trusty splatter screen, and pull that baby out! Can you smell it? YUM!

Using a pizza cutter, cut each croissants piece in 3, (easier to eat), and place on a plate.

Devour I mean, enjoy, with a cold drink (I like a cold Pepsi when eating this dish. ;)

In the pictures, I show how much meat mixture I have left, as I only made 1.5 croissants. It was very difficult NOT to just eat it up (and anything dropped on the floor was swooped on by the dog and the cats!) BUT, I was strong! Its in the fridge, for later!

Now, this dish can be made with any meat, so long as its cooked thoroughly. I’ve done this with Deli meat, but I don’t recommend it. The idea to cook from “scratch” is to get away from the nitrates and all the stuff they pump into pre-made foods… You can add peppers if you like (cough cough), or whatever you like. These babies are best served piping hot. YUM!

the pictures are not in order for all the steps, but I'm sure you can get the idea :)

ingredients... (missing onions in this pic)

mmm... garlic

croissants, sliced with a bread knife. please don't slice your hand, like I did. @_@

lazy-woman's baking sheet (see results of cooked food, you'll see why I favor these)


red onions are the mildest, sweetest. at the top right, you see the "center" rings. I remove these, as I personally have found, after much experimentation, that doing so lessens the risk of a migraine being triggered. :|

mixing the meat mix.

add a bit of garlic on the croissants. this is optional, but what a difference!

you don't have to use just this cut, use what's on sale, especially if its Sirloin ^_^


See? THIS is why I use the foil lining instead of a cookie sheet. just ball it up, and recycle or throw it out (where the dog can't get to it!)

its also easier to get to those crusty bits of cooked cheeze on there. mmmmm....

lazy man's way of cooking the shrooms, just move the meat, pop the shrooms in there, give it a fry for a minute, then mix it all up!

like so.

remember not to burn the garlic, otherwise it will be bitter (and it will STINK if your house!) and if your fire detector is as sensitive as mine, it'll go off.

the juices are normal, this is due to the soy sauce, and meat juices.

mmm... can almost smell it!

after making 1.5 croissants, this is what I had left of the meat mix. I had enough left for another 3.5 croissants AFTER this.

I desperately fought the temptation to get the chopsticks out, and pig out, but the croissants baking helped me make the right decision. I chucked a piece to Dewey... (and another to Jazz...)

ready to roll! :)

I'm scatterbrained at the best of times, and foil is not rigid. so, I used my splatter shield (dollar store find), and VOILA! carrying plate!

when adding meat to croissants, you will need to quickly drain the juices... otherwise, soggy mess.

garlic, check. cheese, check. meat, check. hehe!


adding a fine layer of cheese helps to glue stuff on there... you know, can never have too much cheese!

mmmmm.... very shortly, my tummy will be singing praises...

The Results...  yummy, crunchy, satisfying gooeyness.

HURRY DARN YOU! HURRYYYYYY!


Enjoy! :) Cyncerely, Cyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Remember, please be kind. If you have trouble posting please email me at ladybug(at)mail2freedom.com. Thanks!